Psychology of Consumer Behaviour | Scoop.it

Thursday, February 26, 2009

George Brown I've got a Crush on You- Be my Friend on Facebook

Funny the things you stumble upon while not looking for them. My students know that I have long been a fan of George Brown. Yes, it's the name of the college where I teach, but it's also a man who I've got a crush on.

OK, I know he's not perfect. He kinda wasn't a fan of unions, but the things he did were dramatic and important and I've long felt that he has been ignored and unappreciated- unloved even. Who can't relate to that?

Last year I co-authored a college writing text and of course I managed to put in an example paragraph that gave a little history about George, and I talk him up every chance I get. Pointing out to my students how just down the street on King Street at St Lawrence Hall he worked to abolish Slavery as one of the founding members of the Anti-Slavery Society of Canada.

As if that wasn't enough, he established the Globe newspaper and was a leader in the Reform party (which later became the Liberal Party) and was one of the Fathers of Confederation. But who knows George?

Guess what? George Brown is on Facebook and not just any old George but my George. Who knew? Of course I have requested friendship. But what's it about? Well it turns out that I am not the only one who believes that George deserves a little recognition.

"A young Canadian sets out to discover why George Brown isn’t recognized for his role in Confederation and how this omission has implications for present and future generations," in this YouTube video


There's a website too http://www.gbdoc.ca/.
¡HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE! George Lives!

No comments: